Sunday, November 9, 2008

High School Civics

In the middle of dinner, during a discussion of the house Ways and Means committee, it occurred to me that I know jack and shit about how my government works. And jack left town. Now, I know the basic structure of the .gov, and I paid a fair amount of attention during Government and Economics class during high school (although I’ll blame my imperfect grade on the combination of Bethany’s thin tank top and my hormones) so I know how everything is supposed to work.

But honestly, I haven’t the foggiest idea of what the Ways and Means committee does. For the purposes of dinnertime debate, I made an educated guess and came within grenade distance, but I didn’t know precisely what the committee was for, who serves on it, when it was formed, or what it’s not allowed to do. I can go look it up online (and, yep, I did), but there are a lot of committees.

So, essentially, I know the concept of my government, but not the details. I’m not sure anybody does. It’s just too damn big. I wonder if that’s the point…

Damnitalltohell, I'm growing more and more convinced that the federal government is just the greedy leading the blind.

No comments: